TUNES


Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Just another day in the lab

>I'm almost done!!! i can't wait to get home and see my mom and my puppies. just a little over 2 weeks left. I'm done with classes and now all i have to do it finish training in my section. I'm in Microbiology now, by far it is my favorite section to work in. I'm doing my PDL now which is just a practical of what we know in micro. I'm on my others PDL now which is all the specimens we get other than urine, throats, and stool. So it is pretty much MRSA swabs, genital swabs and other body fluids, and wounds. This is the toughest PDL we have in micro. There is just so many different organisms in others. 

>Next week i start parasitology, that is my favorite. it is probably the grossest thing we study but it is the coolest. A few weeks ago a worm came in that they found in a two year old infant's diaper. At first we thought it looked like a normal earth worm that had exploded(by the way if you ever find a worm, don't put it in tap water. The osmotic pressure of the tap water will cause it to explode..a little fun fact ha ha) But the only way to determine what kind of worm it is is to find eggs in the stool. So they finally found an egg in the stool. it was Trichuris-Trichiura, or Whipworm.  the egg,  and the worm. 
This looks a lot like what we found in the diaper. I would be scared to find this in my kids diaper...it gives me the creeps thinking about that girls parents finding it... Well they found out that they had just gotten a new dog so that was probably the cause. but for her to have a large worm means that she had a pretty bad infection. They give meds to kill it and you have to wait to poop all the worms out. well that is my fun Micro story for you..

Night
Love Love -S-

5 comments:

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Worms in diapers would make a great MORBID MONDAY!!!

Hallie

Lea said...

Wahoo, cool and gross all in one!

Wishing you all the best today and always,
AF Mom ~ Lea

(Who might just rendevous with y'all in Ohio - still working out the details)

Michelle said...

It makes me so happy to hear you get excited when you talk about worms in poop. Does that make me weird?

Love you lots!

kim-d said...

Hey Shay! Another one of your Mom's blogging friends stopping by to say hi. I came by the other night but, due to a long relaxing weekend at my friend's cabin "up north" I had to get busy with school work, so didn't have time to comment...I tend to leave pretty wordy comments. BWAHAHAHAHA! So now, today, you're stuck with me :).

I got a huge chuckle out of this post; from Nordstrom, to you and all your cute BFFs, to finding wormy nastiness in a kid's poopy diaper. Shay, I think you're well on your way to winning "THE MOST ECLECTIC BLOG" Award!!!

Take care, A1C Shay...talk to you later...

Tonjia said...

I loved microbiology too! I think we must be a weird breed.

uh oh, you have given Hallie an idea. watch out!